Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Choco-banana Cookies

In my secret foodie dreams, I'm an excelent baker who bakes gorgeous cakes and pies and breads fresh daily to share with my friends and family without gaining any weight at all.  In my everyday reality, I'm an average-sub par lover of baked goods that really only bakes when the timing's right. Usually the timing feels right long after the sun goes down and my after dinner sweet tooth gets the better of me.

A couple weeks ago, I had an over-ripe banana and a craving for something sweet and easy.  I thought Chocolate Chip Banana cookies would probably be the best use of the banana, so away I went. After a quick research I settled on Martha Stewart's recipe which goes a little something like this:


Ingredients: 
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 very ripe banana, slightly mashed
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips


1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter or line 2 baking sheets.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine.
4. Mix in the banana and chocolate chips until just combined.
5. Drop by the tablespoons onto the baking sheet, spacing dough an inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove to cooling racks.

If I were you, I'd definitely make sure to complete the cooling rack step.  I left them on the baking sheet for an accidental minute while I was tending to other things in the kitchen, and all the bottoms of my cookies were slightly burnt. =[ Other than that, I think the cookies came out a bit too "cakey" for my liking and a bit substandard really. Maybe I didn't follow the recipe correctly? I mean she is Martha Stewart her recipes have to be good right? Right? 

For next time, I think I'll not over incorporate the ingredients, take them out of the oven after only 10 minutes and add 1 more whole banana and an extra cup of chocolate chips. 

Overall though, the cookies did their job -- satisfy my sweet tooth and get rid of my wasted banana. ;]

If you decide to take on Martha's recipe, let me know how you do!  

No comments:

Post a Comment