Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sydney Spotlight

Vargabar Espresso, Newtown 

You know that half-hungry feeling when the afternoon hits and you know it's too early for dinner, but lunch seemed like ages ago? On a stroll down King st the other day, Miguel and I had that very same feeling.  We decided to stop in a cafe for a quick snack to help hold us over until our dinner plans that night.  For whatever reason, our usual cafe spots didn't seem so appealing and we were kind of in the mood to try something new.  Luckily out of the corner of my eye, down the street toward Erskineville road, I noticed Vagabarespresso. OH MY GAH.


The cafe itself, is a quaint little room full of cleverly shaped tables and chairs with the obvious purpose to fit as much seating in the tiny quarters as possible.  There's a platform a few steps above the first level and large windows with bench seats as well.  The staff is a tight group of four that bounce well off each other and seem to be constantly joking.  I liked the vibe they were giving off because it made me feel comfortable right away, which is something I believe is important when dining in a small space.


After looking over the menu, I settled on a smoked salmon toastie while Miguel got the fresh baked banana bread. The salmon toastie was delicious and the brie was melted to perfection.  I loved how all the ingredients tied together and the spinach helped take the toastie to the next level.  It was definitely one of the better smoked salmon meals I've ever had.  Miguel was completely happy with his warm banana bread drizzled with honey and topped with sliced almonds. We both got flat whites of which I truly believe was the best, most well prepared coffee I have ever had in my life. IN MY LIFE. The coffee was sweet and rich and the milk was frothed up perfectly.  We found ourselves sipping slowly in order to better savour the coffee. I'm still dreaming of it. YUM. 


As you can see from my scrunched up face up there, I was beyond happy to have found this new spot.  I can go on and on about how great it was.  The one negative I found, if you could even call it that, was that the blender was constantly running, making conversation a bit difficult.  Really though, that just made me want to order a milkshake for next time. I am so looking forward to returning next weekend for breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment