Saturday, July 21, 2012

travelling through 2012

 “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
Last year, I declared 2011 "The Year of Fun." After a tumultuous 2010, I desperately needed to make and stick to my resolution of filling 2011 with nothing but fun. Miguel and I took every opportunity to try new things, find new places and live the life we've always wanted to live together. It was fantastic.

This year most definitely is The Year of Travel. As we reach into August and are now over half way through with 2012, I can't help but find myself reflecting on the past 7 months and looking forward to the next 5. One of the constants for us this year has been travel.

Gold Coast, QLD | Soaking up the sun at a beach side bar  



Port Stephens, NSW | Looking out for Dolphins







We ended 2011 with our first airplane trip together to the Gold Coast in Queensland and rounded up Christmas with a trip to Port Stephens with my immediate family. 

Lake Tahoe, California | One of my favorite family photos from the America trip
We moved right along into February where we took an epic trip back home to America to see our family and friends.  The trip was quick but everything I hoped for.  I got to see my sister who visited from Spain, spend time with my family in The Bay Area and even make a quick trip to Vegas with my best friend and some of my favorite friends from college. 


June saw us take a little Staycation over at Manly Beach which is just a hop, skip and jump away from where we live.  Even though it was super near by, it still felt like a little vacation and we got to experience a place we've never been before.  

Splendour On The Grass | Image Via

In just under a week, we will be travelling to Byron Bay where we will be experiencing first hand what it's like to camp at a 3 day music festival.  We've got our tent and sleeping bags all ready to go, and I hear the weather is going to be fantastic -- for the middle of winter anyway.  I don't even think excited is the right word to describe how I'm feeling.  I'm just beyond thrilled to be able to experience everything that Splendour has to offer. 

Bohol, Philippines | Image Via

In December we will be going to the Philippines to celebrate Christmas with more of my family.  My sister will be yet again coming from Spain, plus we have some cousins there that I'm dying to see.  The plans are to travel through Manila into Palawan and then eventually to Bohol. It will be only my second time back and I'm already beginning to count down the days.  

2012 has already brought so many blessings, but I'm still so excited to see what's to come.  After living in California for 18 years and not travelling much outside of the neighboring states, I feel so lucky to be able to have visited so many new places in just this year alone.  I'm a big believer of making your own dreams come true. If you can dream it, you can definitely do it. Especially travelling.  All it takes is patience and a little bit of saving every day.  Plus the thrill you'll get from seeing a place you've never seen before is something you'll remember forever.  I know I do. 

I have so much left of the world to see, but I'm confident that with each penny saved, I'm closer to getting to my dream destinations. Here's to finishing off 2012 strong, with more airplane rides to places unknown! 

No comments:

Post a Comment