Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Musical Walk Down Memory Lane...

I've been thinking a lot about music lately...mostly how when a particular song comes on, it can stop you in your tracks and send you down memory lane. I have a few solid songs that can literally make me pause for a moment and bring a faint memory back into full view, playing like a movie right in front of my eyes. I thought I'd share a few of those choice songs today, and invite you on my walk down memory lane.

Sublime - What I Got
When I was in high school, I was part of a really fantastic close knit Drama club.  There were only 4 of us girls in the club, and we ended up being really really close. Not only did we see each other every day at school, but we also spent most weekends together getting from place to place in Javi's van. Javi was the only one with a license at the time, (probably still is! hah) and without fail, every time we were all in that van together, she would blast Sublime and we four would sing at the top of our lungs. Without a care in the world, we would roll down the windows shouting "Love isssssss what I GOT!" It was perfectly carefree and amazing.

The Counting Crows - Mr. Jones


There's a line in this song that goes "Cut Maria! Show me some of them Spanish dances
Pass me a bottle, Mr. Jones" which will forever remind me of Baby 2. Baby 2 is the nickname of one of my twin aunties, the other is you guessed it, Baby 1! Anyway, one day when I was probably 10 or 12, this song came on the radio in her office, and all of a sudden she stops and sings that line from the top of her lungs. That's me Praxis! The band goes on to describe a black haired Flamenco Dancer, and Baby 2 goes on to tell me stories from the her crazy years during the 90s. We spent the entire afternoon just talking, me listening, her reminiscing  and us bonding from what started as just one song playing on the radio.  Without fail, whenever this song comes on, I think of my crazy auntie and get a bit homesick. 

Modest Mouse - Dashboard 


There was one San Francisco summer I experienced where life felt perfect.  I had the perfect group of adventurous friends, the perfect San Francisco weather, and had just reached the age where my parents trusted me enough to let me roam the streets late at night without worrying too much. My sister and I shared the group of friends, and during the Summer, I have no recollection of fights or anything annoyingly negative. The 5 of us friends just fit together like a glove.  We spent days finding new beaches to go to, playing pranks on each other and wasting away the afternoons at our house. I was introduced to Modest Mouse around this time, and for me, their music became the soundtrack of that summer. I remember constantly having Float On and Dashboard on loop, and feeling like everything was right in the world. That summer before college was magical.

It's funny because these songs will always, always remind me of those times in my life -- times where I remember telling myself this is good. Life is good. Don't ever, ever forget this.  Do you have songs that stop you in your tracks too? It's crazy how that works huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment