Thursday, August 08, 2013

The Second Annual Staycation !

image via
Every time winter comes around, I get the shits.
No not literally! I think this is an Australian saying... But anyway I get antsy and cold and dream of going on a beautiful vacation somewhere far and away. To ail my grumpies, Miguel and I book ourselves a staycation. Last year we went to the beautiful yet haunted Q Station. This year we went just a hop, skip and jump away from our home to the gorgeous Blue Hotel. This place was ah.may.zing. Seriously. Plus it was our anniversary and that made everything even more the magical. 


View outside our window

 We only stayed for one night, and I can firmly say that it wasn't enough.  I probably could have stayed there for a week and not missed home one bit. The hotel is located in Wooloomooloo (don't you just love that name?) and sits on a dock out into the Sydney wharf.  Practically every room in the hotel has a view of the water, which is something that other hotels make you pay extra for. The room felt super luxurious with a king sized bed, duck feather pillows (I had no idea that existed) and huge, fluffy robes and slippers on arrival. Oh and lets not forget the massive tub.  It was hands down the largest tub I've ever had the luxury of sitting in, and it alone makes me want to come back. Seriously, I felt like a princess.  


 Since it was our anniversary after all, Miguel and I went down to the cocktail lounge for a couple drinks before dinner.  It definitely had a cool vibe to it, but we were there around 5 so the evening crowd hadn't come out yet.  It was kinda cool to have the place mostly to ourselves, but I'm interested to see what it's like during later hours.  After enjoying some drinks we made our way to Kingsley's Steak & Crab house which was also right on the wharf. We dined outside and had a beautiful view of the city.  The food was definitely good, but not the best steak and shrimps I've ever had. They're a restaurant that caters to the tourists and the prices are a bit cray.  Still the night was super romantic and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of our evening.


After dinner, we got even more drinks and hung out around the hotel.  At some point, we indulged in room service and ordered the sticky date pudding. Oh man this was good. It was everything a sticky date should be -- warm, gooey and served with ice cream. It was the perfect treat for our evening. 

Since we had such a good experience with the sticky date, we ordered room service for breakfast too. This was a mistake, and really my only complaint about Blue. We both ordered pancakes with bacon + eggs and it was terrible. The pancakes were rubbery, the syrup too runny and the first time they delivered it to us they forgot the bacon. It was just all out bad.  The hosts were super apologetic though and even gave us a second cup of coffee for free. 

After breakfast, it was time to make our way home. I dragged my feet the entire way out. A week later, I'm still thinking about the place. But that's what makes vacations so good right? It's the memories and the lingering feeling of relaxation that will last longer than our little one day getaway. 

Oh Blue, you did us right. It was the perfect staycation and the perfect way to celebrate our fourth year. 

1 comment:

  1. aww congrats my dearies, i just cant stop saying that enough i'm so happy for you two! duck feather pillows? sounds awesome!

    cant wait to visit you down under some day!

    --Leeds
    at this volume

    ReplyDelete