Friday, March 28, 2014

On NAKED FACES!

Yesterday I had one of those mornings. You know them. The kind where you wake up and from start to finish you are rushing around the house like a mad woman looking for your missing shoe because wasn't it under the table just yesterday?!?!

The shoe wasn't under the table and the bathroom was preoccupied, as it tends to be in a share house. So instead of missing my bus and arriving late to work, I decided to cut a step out of my morning routine. I was going to --dramatic pause-- leave the house makeup-less.

Three years ago, I wouldn't have minded. In fact I used to consistently leave the house without makeup on because I thought I didn't need it. Most weekends in fact, I don't wear it, but for some reason in the last few years, I've decided that it is compulsory to slap on 'my face' for work every morning. I don't know how I feel about that. On one hand, I feel like it's a very 'adult' thing to do. I mean what self respecting business woman do you know doesn't wear a stitch of makeup to work? On the other hand, I feel like that last sentence grosses me out. So anti-feminst.  Yuck.

What's worse, is that I spent the entire morning hiding behind my glasses hoping no one would realize that my face was naked! Thankfully once lunch arrived, I was so preoccupied with food, that I didn't care whether or not I had anything on my face except for maybe another spoonful of soup!

The point is -- this is ridiculous.  Women are beautiful regardless of whether or not they decide to wear makeup at all.  Makeup shouldn't be compoulsory, rather it should be something that one puts on just cause they feel like it, or because they enjoy the art of it or because it's fun. Not because they feel ugly and naked and a loser without in on.

The Marriam Webster definition of makeup is this:

make·up

noun \ˈmā-ˌkəp\
: the way in which something is put together or arranged
: the physical, mental, and moral character of a person
: substances (such as lipstick or powder) used to make someone's face look more attractive
 
...and I think there is something fundamentally wrong with that.
 
Here's to more nakedfaced days!
 
xo,
Praxis

5 comments:

  1. Hello Praxis!

    I agree with you about the makeup thing, and it was interesting to read your take on it. As for me, I got into the habit of wearing makeup every day when I was 19 - 21 but quit when I realised how it had changed from being something fun, feminine and creative into a chore. I decided that I have other things I'd rather spend my time and money on, so these days I keep makeup for special occasions only - and it's become fun again! Even better, I've gone back to feeling like my face is perfectly nice (more or less) just the way it is :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally and completely agree with you! I'm going to try working on making sure it's not a chore for me as well. :]

      Delete
  2. Yes!

    "What self respecting business woman do you know doesn't wear a stitch of makeup to work?" *Raises hand.* Can I get a hallelujah?! ;-)

    For me, there aren't enough hours in the day, and I would like to spend 15 more minutes sleeping than putting on makeup (coincidentally the two are related: more sleep, my skin looks better naturally!). Also, I never like the way my face feels when I wear anything chemical-esque or heavy on it. I feel like the zany character in a sitcom, shoving concealers and liquid base out of the way, saying in a loud, comical voice, "Back up, makeup. A girl's skin's gotta BREATHE."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HALLELUJAH!!

      I absolutely agree with getting more sleep over waking up to put makeup on. In fact, after posting this, I took a hard look at my morning routine, and have cut some of the makeup steps out. I'm definitely working on being makeup free more days.

      Thanks so much for stopping by -- really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. i rarely wear makeup nowadays. i think i wore more makeup in high school than college and post college. i only help my eyebrows a bit w brow pencil and i go. lipstick or chapstick if it's in my backpack. lol on a random day i'll maaaaaaaybe do the whole make up game but it feels weird on my face and i feel like i sweat more as weird as that sounds. anyway, the fact the dictionary thinks its okay to say makeup makes you more attractive sucks. sigh

    --Leeds
    at this volume

    ReplyDelete