Friday, March 13, 2015

I'm Just SO Proud! + a bit of that Anonymous message to Kanye.

This week has been an incredible one for my family. My step dad, sister, her boyfriend and mine have all accomplished little (big!) victories in their lives in these last seven days.

I won't embarrass them and lay it all out here, but I will say that I am just so proud!

Watching these four achieve success this week was a real reminder that through hard work, dedication and a touch of creativity one can really move towards greatness.

Congrats to them!

...While I spent this afternoon being so happy for my family, I stumbled upon this message sent to Kanye West by the Anonymous group.

Now while I can't say I agree with everything they've said, I did find one point quite important.

Kanye West sings "no one man can have all that power." But he does right? He is an internationally known, wealthy, loud, opinion-driven man.  He can say almost anything and millions of fans will lean on his every word.  I know, I'm one of them! But instead of using his 'power' for good (cue Peter Parker) it seems he uses his celebrity to push the agenda that he says he is actively fighting.

It feels like one big confusing circle.  He rejects the 'New Slave'* mentality, but yet is completely involved with fashion, celebrity and using sex to sell objects. You can't be a 'Renaissance Man' if you're pushing the stuff everyone else is pushing. You can't reject the 'New Slave' mentality if you're one yourself.

The Anonymous message as a whole was about using success and power to do good. It bashed Kanye sure, but I think the main agenda was to explain that power and success should be used wisely.

I found it quite poignant that this message was released on the same day that members of my family were experiencing their little successes. It served as a great reminder to use power and success for good.

Weird, mis-mashed blog? Sure!
...but hey at least we've finally moved on from those Currently posts right?

xo,
Praxis


*I hate the term New Slave. I think it's inappropriate and disrespectful.  Kanye made it up, not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment